How do I apply to be a volunteer?
Please start by completing the online, Pre-Application Form. Once we have received and reviewed it, we will contact you (via email or phone) and send you the necessary forms & information to start your application process.
Keep in mind that the earlier you apply to a project the better your chance is to be accepted. We suggest, if possible, starting the application process 6 months prior to the project start date.
Does MMI take non-medical volunteers?
Yes! All help is gratefully accepted. MMI accepts non-medical volunteers to:
- Help in the pharmacy
- Assist nurses giving treatments
- Give out reading glasses
- Help the dental clinic
- Work with the construction team
What Does it Cost to Join an MMI Team?
The cost to join any of our Mission Teams (whether it’s a Wound Care team, Medical Mission, Dental Mission, or Construction Team), is $1300 CAD dollars.
Your fees enable us to directly meet the goals and needs of your placement. The resources within these communities are very much limited and cannot support your costs for meals, accommodation, transportation and supervision.
Volunteer fees cover the following:
- Accommodations/Meals – We carefully select host families connecting you to the culture and social, economic and political events in the community and the country. You are provided with at least 2 meals a day and you are requested to be flexible to intervene and assist in cooking/food preparation etc. An addition fee is paid by volunteers in case they want to stay in hotels, apartments or guest houses but Love and Serve Africa helps to ensure that you get a secure and comfortable place.
- Application fee – Your application fee which covers communication and Office overhead and logistical support is also inclusive.
What is NOT included in the fees?
- International Airfare
- Medical Insurance or Bills
- Tours and safaris
- Daily expenses (spending money, etc.)
What documents must I send to join an MMI team?
Once we have contacted you and have approved your candidature to join the team, we will forward you the forms that needs to be filled out.
Here is a general list of the paperwork we will need from our volunteers:
- MMI application form
- Signed MMI conduct statement
- A notarized photocopy of your medical diploma
- A notarized photocopy of your medical practicing license
- For medical professionals, a resume of work experience since graduation
- First-time Volunteers must provide a letter of reference from your pastor or clergyperson.
Information where to send your application form and required documents will be noted on your application form as well as the deadlines for remittance.
What do I do if I’m traveling by myself?
MMI staff will meet you at the airport when you arrive and take you back to the airport for your departure.
Do I need a Travellers Visa?
Canadian and American citizens do not require a visa to enter Peru but it is needed to enter African countries.
A visa is needed to enter the African countries where we are working. MMI will send give you the info needed to acquire your visa.
What immunizations do I need?
Once accepted to an MMI outreach, please visit your local health clinic for a complete list of recommended immunizations, based on the location that you will be traveling to.
Are the outreaches safe?
Although there are inherent risks associated with all international travel, MMI takes great care to keep all volunteers safe and healthy during their outreach.
- Outreaches are located in politically safe environments
- Water is bought or purified
- Local cooks follow North American hygiene standards
- No extreme-sports activities
- Always travel in groups
Ultimately, we trust for the Lord’s protection wherever we go.
How to I bring a team from my church?
Please CONTACT MMI for full details on how to bring a church team on a mission trip to one of our locations.
- Look for an appropriate outreach for your team
- Obtain medical work permits from the outreach country
- Co-ordinate all the logistics to host your team
- Lead the team during the outreach
If there are other questions you have that have not been answered on this page, please don’t hesitate to CONTACT US – we will do our best to answer you quickly and !